Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do you use the “rinse and chill” process on your carcasses like they do with the buffalo sold in Kroger, Whole Foods, Safeway and other large chain stores? No, We do not add anything to our meat. The “rinse and chill” process injects a saline solution in the vascular system to “rinse” out the blood.
2. Where is your meat processed? We use a small local USDA Inspected processor in Fruita.
3. Are your elk and buffalo fed any corn or other grains? No, never. We just feed pasture grasses and harvested hay from our pastures.
4. Do you add preservatives to your meats? No.
5. Do you add MSG to your jerky or sausages? No.
6. Do you give tours of your ranch? Yes and there is no charge. We give tours by appointment only, so please phone 970.835.7600 in advance to schedule a time.
7. Do you ship meat? Yes, we ship via Fedex Second Day for out of state orders. Shipping out of Colorado shipping costs start at $30 and increases due to weight and distance. Colorado shipments are shipped Fedex Ground and arrive in 2 days and run $25-$30 depending on quantities. All meat orders are shipped on Mondays.
8. Do you flash freeze your meat? No, our processor has a small freezer room that they have additional fans in to move the cold air around. It takes 4-5 hours to freeze the meat this way.
9. Do you sell fresh (never frozen) meat? No.
10. How often do you process meat? We process once a month beginning the 1st of June and go until early December. We process elk bulls in the summer, before the “rut” and females before and after that depending on demand.
11. Do you sell meat at the ranch? Yes, it is best to phone ahead if you are coming out to the ranch to purchase meat and schedule a time for us to meet you, since we are out working around the ranch most of the time.
12. Do you ship Jerky? Yes, we ship jerky Monday thru Thursday via Priority Mail. Shipping starts at $7 for 4 packages of jerky. The cut off time for same day shipping is 10am Mountain time.
13. Do you ship Elk Antler Capsules or Elk Velvet Antler Strips for Dogs? Yes, we ship Monday thru Thursday via Priority Mail. Shipping on 4 Bottles of the capsules or 3 bags of the strips for dogs is $7. The cut off time for same day shipping is 10am Mountain time.
14. Do you offer package meat deals? Yes, we offer an assortment of elk and/or buffalo meat for $105, a $115 value. Call for details.
15. Do you sell quarter elk? No, we only sell elk in halves or whole.
16. What is the processing cost on a quarter buffalo or half elk? It generally averages around an additional $1 per pound over and above the cost of the meat, based on the carcass weight.
17. Is there a standard cut order for quarter buffalo? Yes, and we can fax or email it upon request. If you want to customize the order, you will need to order a half or a whole. Our quarters are actually a split half. We do not offer front quarters or hind quarters. If you are looking for front quarter only cuts of Buffalo or Elk we can put together a special package for $11 per pound based on finished weight (you tell us the quantity you want) it would include Brisket, Chuck Roasts, Ribeye Steaks, ground Chuck and Tongue.
18. Do you need a deposit to reserve a quarter buffalo or half elk? Yes, we take a $100 deposit on orders of quarter Buffalo or half elk.
19. Do you accept credit cards? Yes, we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express over the phone.
20. Do you take orders over the internet? We do not offer a shopping cart on our website. But we can take reorders via
|Home | Contact
Us | Where to find our meats | Download
products price list
© High Wire Ranch, 2013